The activities pursued essentially encompass the application (spotting) of defined quantities of biological specimen materials onto a predefined surface. The volume applied with each spot may total anything from just a few pL to volumes measured in nL or even µL. The bandwidth of (biological) specimens processed ranges from nucleic acids (DNA, RNA and aptamers) to peptides and proteins, and also includes complex specimens such as serums, cell extracts and vital cells. The equipment available allows the physicochemical properties of the specimens to be factored in, and to dispense them very sparingly under identical conditions. Modified specimen slides can be used as a target for the specimens, just as membranes, wafers and pre-structured, 3-dimensional objects can be used for ivD and lab-on-a-chip applications in differing sizes. The range of services available is finished off with the option of performing specific structuring and modification of surfaces, and their characterization.
- Production (spotting) of customer-specific DNA, peptide, protein and cell microarrays.
- High-Performance Center for dispensing technologies
- Spotting on different materials, e.g. glass, plastic, membranes, microtiter plates, semiconductors, etc.
- Benchmarking of various contact and non-contact spotters for selecting the ideal system (reference laboratory for liquid dispensing systems)
- Carrying out customer-specific microarray experiments, evaluation and documentation
- Optimizing the experiments with thermodynamic and kinetic measurements
- Transfer of other assay formats to microarrays, as a lateral flow test and for in-vitro diagnostic applications
- Development and setup of assays for ELISA and microarrays
- Colorimetric, fluorescence and electrochemical detection systems